Tuesday 29 November 2011

Little me

People lie.

In Martial Arts, it usually goes, "Size and strength doesn't matter."

What a load of crap. Admittedly, it isn't all that matters, but it is very important.

Imagine two equally skilled fighters, equal form, and equal speed. The only difference is one is twice the size of the other. Who wins?

At Jiu-Jitsu, I'm bigger than most of the people. A lot bigger than some. We practice with one another, and they get to try their moves out on somebody bigger. They do it on me, and maybe it will work. I do it on them, and they're doomed.

Last class we got a new beginner. He's about 6'5", and probably 300 pounds. We weren't working on size specific technique, so it didn't matter much. Tonight the technique is one that where size matters. As a result, the two biggest guys ended up partnered for most of the evening.

That mean the big guy was with me. I got to be the little one for a change. If he did something right, I flew. If he did something imperfectly, I still flew. If I did something imperfectly, and there was no reaction. If I did something moderately well, still no reaction. Even when I did something perfectly sometimes nothing happened. Not everything works with that big a difference is size.

I only had one of the small partners once last night, and only for a few minutes. Everything worked in my favour again. It felt like I was fighting a barbie doll.

I enjoyed my big partner, but I also like my smaller ones, too.

I wonder how one of the barbie dolls would fare with the new guy.

Variety is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment