Tuesday 29 November 2011

Cruel Mistress

I am almost finished my first time through the cycle of Jiu-Jitsu classes. There are 23 lessons, and you have to do each 3 times before you can test.

I only need to complete lessons #14 and #15. Oh, and of course, #11 and #12 that I missed when I was sick. Stupid illness.

Tonight, it's #14, and on Thursday #15. If not for my absences, I'd be done the first cycle. No big deal, I knock off #11 and #12 at my private lessons tomorrow and a week from tomorrow. It is nice to be an adult with a few bucks to spend on extra lessons.

I want my Blue Belt, and have tried to get a clearer idea of how long it should take to earn. The theoretical quickest should be about 9 months. Many take as long as 3 years to get it.

My goal is to be on the lower end of the scale. I'll be theoretically able to take the exam early in May, or about 7 months. The private lessons make this possible.

No more sickness allowed. No injuries allowed.

What's the rush? I don't really know. I've set myself the goal of Blue by Summer. No reason for that, but goals are good. I've already trained my way passed a large number of people who started before me.

There's one young fellow in particular. He started at the beginning of September, and I started at the end of that month. He's only there about half the time, and has accumulated 10 of the 23 lessons. What's with that? I already have twice as many lessons as him.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen join Karate. They tried a class, and really seemed to love it. They pay their fees, all keen to come back. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

The couch and TV can be a cruel mistress.

No comments:

Post a Comment