Sunday 6 November 2011

Goalie

When I started Karate, my first goal was to pass that first belt test. I didn't really see anything beyond that. There kept being short-term belt goals being thrown up.

I started leading half the club's classes (can I call that teaching?) when I was a lowly Green Belt. I felt I had to keep testing as quickly as I could to prevent any confusion. I was one rank above the next club members, and if they'd caught me it might have gotten in the way. Maybe not, but I kept it from happening.

There are 3 ranks of Brown Belt. Nobody can tell your rank within Brown. Many like slowing down at that time to solidify their confidence in their technique. I couldn't. My Sensei moved to Japan, and our club needed a Black Belt. I became Sensei and needed to keep gaining rank as quickly as I could.

After Black Belt I didn't feel any pressure to continue the rank game, and didn't face an opportunity to test even if I wanted to for the next few decades. Back then, we didn't get such exams in BC, and to get one would have involved major travel. Now we have high-belt exams frequently, but I feel no pressure.

As a Shodan, I have access to all the training available. No advantage to a higher rank.

In Jiu-Jitsu, I am climbing the ladder once again. Every ten weeks of attendance earns the White Belts a spiffy black stripe on their belt. The students covet them the same as I once did my Yellow Belt. I find the stripes irrelevant, but would never say so.

After 23 weeks of classes, one is permitted to attend an extra, slightly more advanced class held on Saturdays. I want to get into that. Goal one.

After 35 weeks of training one is theoretically able to test for Blue Belt. I don't care much about the Blue Belt, but getting one gets access to two evening classes with more advanced training. I want to get to that, too. Goal two.

To speed my way towards my two goals, I've been taking extra private lessons. These count towards the 23 and 35 week totals. They also count DOUBLE towards belt stripe totals, too. Don't care about that.

The White Belt in our class closest to testing for Blue was talking to another girl a few nights ago. She was excited to think that if she passed, she would become the 5th female Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt in Canada EVER. I thought, "Cool."

If I reach my goals, I will become the oldest person EVER to earn a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt in Canada.

How's that for cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment