Tuesday 1 November 2011

Cheater with a goal

I'm cheating in Jiu-Jitsu. They have a system of rank for White Belts. Every 20 classes completed earns a stripe on the belt. That should take 10 weeks per stripe. By Christmas, I'll have completed 8 weeks of training, and will have earned my second stripe. How? I've been taking extra, private lessons.

I am not nuts, paying for extra lessons just for pieces of tape on my belt. I am trying to get to my Blue Belt. Blue Belts are allowed to attend advanced classes. I want to get to the advanced classes.

One must complete 69 specific lessons to be allowed to test. By Xmas, I'll be a little less than halfway there. In the new year, I may just stick to the regular lessons, and finish my total off in 5 months or so. I also might stay with the extra training and be done in 3 months. Could also do something in between.

None of this guarantees an exam pass, but it does get one the right to try.

I would like to be Blue Belt before summer. Two reasons.

One, I can start next fall in the advanced classes. I plan on training in Judo this summer in Victoria. Judo and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu are quite similar. It is possible that mixing the two while preparing for an exam could be detrimental. If I'm already tested, I don't need to worry about it. I can relax and let the Judo people toss me around.

Two, if we decide to do a Disneyland vacation at all this summer, I'd like to train at the main Gracie school, which is nearby. This is unlikely as we have not considered it a vacation possibility, but sometimes we do stuff like that on short notice. If it happened, I'd want to go as a Blue and not a White.

An injury could render this all moot. I'm doing fine in that respect. No new pinky toe injuries this week, although one big toe took a bash. What's with Jiu-Jitsu and my toes?

The instructor seems to think my summer Blue goal is realistic. He was talking about a big Gracie seminar in May, and talked about how suitable it would be for Blue Belts. When he said it he was looking directly at me. Not that teachers can take time off in May, but he doesn't know that.

Funny, but if I make it and anybody asks me my martial arts rank I can say, "Black and Blue."

Cute, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment