Friday 2 September 2011

My style

I've been thinking about what kind of Karate club would suit me best, within reason.

Things should be vibrant, and the people excited. This would require a healthy number of folks. We currently have about a dozen, which is just enough. More would be better, and it's beginner sign-up time. Let's say we get half a dozen new students. My first requirement would be met.

There should be a full rank structure. The presence of senior students takes some of the pressure off the instructor, and also helps both the senior students and the lower people. The higher colour belts love to help the lower, and it forces them to verbalize what they've learned. Great for both groups. We have 3 Blacks Belts, a Brown, a Blue, several Yellows, and several non-beginner Whites. Bring in a few beginners, and we're all set with a dandy rank structure.

We need a good training locale. Last year we were at a school gym right next to my house. I'm hoping we're there again, but if not there are a couple of schools closer to town.

Class time matters to me. I like things as early as possible, which is not what many want. We've been running 6:30 to 8:00, which is a fine compromise. Sensei could set up a kids class prior to this for an hour if she ever chooses to.

I also like different training atmospheres. Don't know if I can make this clear. A typical class is kind of go-go-go-long explanation-go-go-go-long explanation. This if fine, except it isn't perfect for higher students.

I like that kind of class sometimes, but also the no-explanation type as well. In this type, the instructor gives a simple technique to do, say rising block, and gives a count. They cruise around and physically move misaligned arms into correct position. A few quick quiet words, maybe, and the count continues. The teacher is mostly looking at how people perform.

I also sometimes like a totally silent class, or part of a class. People working out alone, or in small groups. People asking for help from the teacher, or anybody they like. The teacher mainly is watching for the group to start running out of steam, and if they do they call the class back into line. If they don't run out of steam, they are left to keep going.

I ask a lot of my Karate club.

No comments:

Post a Comment