Friday 30 September 2011

$$$

Martial Arts are usually about the cheapest activity one can get involved with, unless you do it my way.

There are many Karate associations that I find I need to be a member of to get access to the training and activities I want. Some are very reasonable, like JKASKD and JKABC. They both charge only $10 a year. I am also a member of Karate BC, which is a heftier $70. Lastly, I am a member in ISKF, which is $40. Per year, my association fees will be $130. Not really bad, considering.

I am also a member of the Sunshine Coast Shotokan Karate Club. It is a bargain at $45 a month. The lion's share of this goes for gym rentals to provide space for two classes a week

Lastly, I've started training in Jiu-Jitsu. This club charges a fair price of $85 per month for two classes a week.

Any more charges? Why yes. Whenever I attend a seminar in Vancouver there is a fee, usually about $25 a day.


The good news is that I no longer pay examination fees, as I do not test any more. I also don't pay tournament participation fees, but sometimes I go watch.

There are also cute uniforms to buy. I seem to wear out one a year. They cost over $200 for the top-notch Tokaido brand. I don't know how long a Judo gi (for Jiu-Jitsu class) will last. They cost about $125.

Am I complaining about the cost? Not at all. I'm bragging about how reasonable it is.

I've done a quick Google lookup on exercise classes and yoga. On average, they seem well above the cost of Karate. Imagine the price of figure skating lessons. How about hockey? Golf at our local, nothing-special golf course is $52.50 a round. Playing there twice a week would cost over $450 per month. That's ten times the Karate Club's fee.

Martial Arts are a great value. Cheap price, good exercise....

...and you learn to thump people.



No comments:

Post a Comment