Friday 13 September 2013

Mean

Sometimes I just do mean things.

First, let me explain something. I like to keep track of things. Things like recording my bike rides and runs. I also keep track of my Jiu-Jitsu training.

I don't simply keep track of what I've done, I also use spreadsheets and such to predict future progress.

I've known for a long time that I'd be completing the training for my current level at the end of this month. It's all on schedule.

I just applied this same model to the other Blue Belts who train regularly. It only works with people who progress steadily.

I also did it for Rob, who is still a White Belt, but who should be getting promoted any day now.

Rob can expect to complete the level that he is about to start in about 21 months.

Elizabeth is the next most Junior. She'll be finished in just under a year and a half.

Tobias is trickier. He takes some private lessons which will speed him up somewhat. I did his projection as if he were not doing so. In that case, he's done in 16 months.

The last is Ryan. He's been Blue the longest, and is working to complete all of the Guard chapter with private lessons. Assuming he does so, he will be finished the level in a year.

So how is it cruel to figure this out?

The way we work is one technique unit at a time. Each takes a week of class practice. There are longer-range goals in the form of chapters of from 6 to 13 units. Most who look beyond this do the quick mental math of 60 technique units in all. That should take 60 weeks, shouldn't it? That's a year.

Well, it is 60 weeks, which is about two months more than a year. There are also three-week review periods between all of the chapters. That adds another 21 weeks. Our school also closes down for a couple of weeks a year.

Put that all together and you have Rob's situation. He's just about to start on training that feels like it should take a year, but is actually going to take 21 months.

That also assumes no significant breaks in training.

That's how this is cruel.

It is possible to cheat. I did it in a big way. By using private lessons, and lots of solo practice I've shaved my own 21 months down to just over a year. Besides dedicating extra time, it requires money. After I complete this level, I'll no longer be able to afford any more private lessons.

Elizabeth is fresh out of high school and I doubt she can do so either. Rob has a decent job, but also a family. I had a decent job, as did my wife, with no kids. Our income is now significantly reduced.

Both Ryan and Tobias are young, have good jobs, and are single. To differing degrees they are both doing the accelerated route.

And on whichever route taken, one good holiday or one nasty injury can screw it all up.


No comments:

Post a Comment