Saturday 15 September 2012

Open mat

There is a new feature twice a week at Jiu-Jitsu. It is called, "open mat," and is a time when any of the members can use the facility for whatever they want.

In it, I've worked on my Blue Belt stuff, as well as free-rolling with people. I've also shown a White Belt some of the techniques she missed when she was unable to attend her regular class.

I've worked with a guy who does mma and who has a fight coming up. He wanted me to try certain things on him so he could figure out how to respond. I also got to use my striking skills to help him work on his defense.

The only rule we have is that it only for club members, and that safety is to be the highest priority. I like both of those rules.

The instructor is trying to start another new program at the school. Today there will be a free, women's self-defense class. He's hoping there will be enough interest to justify a regular program.

Having the school in its own, dedicated facility means there is freedom to try new things. Plenty of time for everything.

The biggest problem for the school is no longer lack of time in the training schedule. Rather, it is a lack of instructors. The chief instructor is trying to groom a new crop to help him out, but right now he's teaching every single adult and kids class. That's about 18 hours a week, on top of his real, full-time job.

I think he's a little nuts, but I'm glad he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment