Friday 1 June 2012

Shocking

I just shocked myself....twice.

I just went through the various parts of the Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt exam syllabus and counted up all the techniques.

The exam has 71 separate techniques. Each of these has a sequence of movements within it. For example a triangle choke has 11 movements within it. This was shock number one.

71 techniques seem like a lot to know.

Somehow this made me wonder about how many techniques I've learned in Karate, specifically in Kata.

There are 25 Katas. In total there are 923 movements. I only know 23 of the Katas, so have memorized a mere 808 moves. Shock number two.

My Orange Belt students are doing well, and have learned 3 Katas with 67 moves.

The trick in Karate is that you work on one at a time, and accumulate them slowly.

It's funny. I didn't know I knew so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment