Monday 4 June 2012

Blues

Our Jiu-Jitsu instructor has produced 13 students who've reached Blue Belt rank. Some had already quit by the time I started, and some have moved away. Another is moving away soon.

At that point, we'll only have 4 Blue Belts left.

There are two of us currently working through our exams. If we pass we'll bring the Blue total to 6.

I think the extremely long road to promotion in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu has a lot to do with the low retention rate.

Five levels per coloured belt. Three coloured belts to work through. 15 levels in total, and I'll be happy to complete one per year. That's 15 years to get a Black Belt. In most martial arts five years is normal.

Suppose I'd joined Judo instead of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. The Judo version of me would be getting his Black Belt the same time that the Jiu-Jitsu me would be earning a 4th stripe on his Blue Belt.

Anyhow, I will be one of 6 Blue Belts. Blues work on more advanced material in one-hour classes held after the White Belt sessions. They also attend the White Belt class to help teach, and also to keep their basic technique fresh.

I look forward to all of that.

There is currently a plan to add two open-mat sessions per week to the timetable. People will work with each other, or they can just roll around if they want to.

I also look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment