Sunday 10 June 2012

Old Backs

I normally have a couple of times a year when my back gets nasty. Its some kind of muscle spasm thing. When it kicks in I have to take things really easy. I walk like a zombie for a few days, and might have to take a day or two off work.

When I started Jiu-Jitsu in September it was a bit of a concern. Everything else I do that's physical can be the spark that sets the back off. Running isn't too bad, but I can't do it if I've had the slightest twinge. Karate is full of very fast twisting movements that can be a problem. Biking for any distance involves prolonged exertion while somewhat doubled over.

How much worse would grappling be? It involves bending, twisting, lifting, torquing, and more lifting.

Determined to keep my eyes open for trouble, I plunged in.

Magically, my back held out. Never felt a thing.

It's now nine months later. My back hasn't been a problem at all. My normal pattern would be that it should have gone out a couple of times in so many months, but it hasn't.

My conclusion is that Jiu-Jitsu has strengthened the muscles in my back enough to lesson my problem. I do have to lift and torque and twist, but normally it's done slowly. Once in a while we go faster, but I didn't experience that at all for my first few months.

It's as if I've had a regime of back exercises designed to work every back-related muscle in every possible way. My risky behaviour has actually turned out to be therapeutic.

Not only hasn't it hurt my back, it seems to have prevented my usual problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment