Wednesday 20 June 2012

Last Summer Vacation Ever

I love summer vacation, and I always have. My last one is about to start.

A year from now, July will arrive again. It will be much the same as the one about to start this year, and much like all those that have gone before.

It will, however, be profoundly different.

It will not be summer vacation. For millions of school children, and for teachers it still will be, but not for me.

The sun will be as warm, and the beaches as inviting. There will be swimming, and bike riding, and maybe even camping, but it won’t be summer vacation.

It will just be....summer.

It will not be followed by a return to school in September. No more long weekends eagerly anticipated. No Monday blues.

Every day will be a day of pleasant freedom. Every day will be life not bound to a work schedule.

I shall be a gentleman of leisure.

My bike rides won’t be back-and-forth to work. They will be rides to anywhere.

I want to draw, and photograph, and make movies but I never do. There are just not enough hours. There soon will be.

I don’t read enough, but I will.

Vancouver needs exploring, but I never go. I need to ride the skytrain for no reason at all. There is a cheap train trip that runs from Vancouver as far as Portland, Oregon. Why am I never on it?

There are places I need to see again, and new ones to add to my acquaintance.

My wife and I need to find places and times to dance. We’ve danced on ships, and in halls, and even in the heart of Disneyland. There must be more.

I am not sad my last summer vacation is about to start.

Not sad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment