Monday 18 June 2012

Old and Proud

Old is really working for me.

As a kid I wasn't interested in any sport, and so didn't play them much. The result was that I wasn't as good at sports as most kids. Not the last guy picked, but always in the last half of those selected.

As a young adult I identified myself as being non-athletic. In the army reserves I'd run all day hauling around heavy equipment. Pretty good for a non-athletic guy.

In my late twenties I started Karate. Didn't know how well I'd do, not being athletic and all. I got a Black Belt.

What I had been as a kid was trying to define me for my entire life, and I was letting it.

Helped coach wrestling. Now there's a workout.

Picked up running, and biking, and Jiu-Jitsu.

I turned 56 today, and have finally left the "non-athletic" label behind. For a guy my age, I'm a fitness machine. Nobody I know who is anywhere near my age is doing as much physical stuff as I am.

On a typical work week, I run a minimum of 10 kilometres, and bike 50. I go to Jiu-Jitsu 3 times a week, and teach Karate twice.

Being an older-type jock can be tricky. Injuries are a real bitch. I hurt my Achilles tendon a couple of months ago and it's still a problem. My running has had to be put on hold, but Karate, Jiu-Jitsu and biking are all still full speed ahead.

A real injury could put me out for a very long time, so I have to train smarter than the youngsters. They don't break as easily, and heal faster when they do.

But I'm not broken yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment