Tuesday 4 October 2011

Picking

In Karate there are often partner drills. Most of the time the class is put into two lines, and you get who ever is next in the other line. It's pretty random. No choosing involved.

Sometimes the class gets all spread out and mixed up, usually during free fighting practise. The instructor yells, "Grab a new partner," and everybody does.

The question becomes who to grab. As an old guy with a worn out Black Belt, I let others do the picking. I throw up my arm, and look around.

Some people are eager to fight a Black Belt. Some ignore me like I have bubonic plague. I leave it to them.

In Jiu-Jitsu there is even more partner work than Karate has. "Grab a partner," is a frequent call. However, I'm not a scary Black Belt there. I am a White Belt.

I am, however, a sweaty old guy who outweighs almost everybody there several tons. Jiu-Jitsu is a wrestling-type activity. I'm sure you get the picture. Again, I let them pick me. Might they want to avoid the sweaty old big guy? Wouldn't you? I would if I were a hundred pound 15 year old.

Anyhow, it's all the same.

I always get somebody to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment