Sunday 16 October 2011

Hug the cactus

We all get nervous about starting a new thing, especially if it seems hard. It can be particularly daunting if we think we won't be good at it.

I've gotten a few comments lately about how impressive it is that I went back to Karate after a long absence, and that I run, and that I bike to work, and that I've taken up Jiu-Jitsu.

Many people have something they'd like to do. It's available, but somehow they just never get started.

How do you avoid the cactus? It's just sitting there. It's in the way. How do you get yourself going? It looks so painful to touch. What if things are too hard? What if things are not like I hope? So many spines. How do you avoid the pitfalls? Simple.

Sometimes you just have to hug the cactus.

Grab that sucker and hold on tight.

It probably wasn't a cactus at all. You just thought it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment