Saturday 22 October 2011

Fate

Sometimes the universe just seems to want you to do something. The universe can be pretty patient, but it just doesn't give up.

When I was a little kid nobody had ever heard of Karate or Kung Fu. Aikido, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo, Muay Thai? You've got to be kidding.

The only mysterious Asian fighting method that was in the Canadian consciousness was Judo.

I was a bookish kid, and had mastered Victoria's bus system to get to the main Public Library. The best place to catch the ride home had a bunch of doors nearby that had stairs inside that lead up to things like dance studios. One lead to the Victoria Judo Club.

While waiting, I often wondered about what when on up there. Once, I went up and peeked. Nothing came of it.

Years later, when in the Army, one of our Sergeants tried to get us involved in Judo training. He made it mandatory, and we quit as soon as we were permitted. He was a new Black Belt with the Victoria Judo Club.

My mom now lives in a care facility. I go there every day whenever I'm in Victoria. Right next to her building is the new home of the Victoria Judo Club.

Last summer I was thinking of training in Judo there. Unfortunately their website was down, and they had no information posted on their door. I let it slide.

In September I started attending Jiu-Jitsu classes here at home. It is quite Judo-ish.

Next summer, we will again be in Victoria. Today I looked up the Judo club's website again.

One of the club's high-level instructors has the same surname as the Sergeant who tried to get me started years ago. The club's chief instructor is the same guy who started things up back in 1957. If I'd signed up after wandering up those stairs as a little boy, he would have been my teacher.

Same club, same people. They tried to lure me up those stairs, and they've even followed my mom to her care home.

I don't see as how I have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment