Wednesday 12 October 2011

Coffee

I miss coffee, but not the kind made at home or picked up at Starbucks.

Up in Fort Saint John we used to do coffee after each Karate class. There was one place for after evening class, and another for after Saturday class. Some folks who couldn't train would still show up for coffee.

We got to know each other, and share stories, and opinions. Students could ask questions in an out-of-class atmosphere. It was great.

When I started up the Sechelt Karate Club I started coffee, too. It wasn't as regular as it had been up north, but was still a big part of things.

The new Sunshine Coast Shotokan Karate Club (I didn't name it) doesn't have coffee. After class we just go home. I can't really push for socializing, as I am often carless these days. In the last year, we've had coffee twice. Both were when the class was held at Bolognese Sensei's house. She invited us to her kitchen for a cup.

It was great.

Jiu-Jitsu is cool, but there is a class right after mine. If the senior people go out after training, I haven't heard about it. We White Belts are all long gone by then. One doesn't get to join the seniors until having earned a Blue Belt. That's a year off for me.

Maybe coffee time should be included in the middle of class time. Train, then a break, then train again.

A silly idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment