Wednesday 12 October 2011

Freaking old

In 2010 I ran my first half marathon. This year I ran it again.

Last year I returned to Karate training. This year I started as a beginner in Jiu-Jitsu.

Why so much activity all of a sudden. It all happened one baby step at a time.

I'd been running solo. Sometimes over 15km. I just decided to do the organized run thing and go just a little farther. That led to the second one. I'm really glad it was easier. The first time sucked.

I returned to Karate when I was contacted by a Brown Belt who wanted a club here so she could train. She needed an instructor. I agreed.

Once I had, I noticed it made sense for me. I'm 55 years old. If I don't do these things now I probably will never be able to.

By returning to Karate, I might be able to keep doing it into my eighties. Delay and it may be too late.

It's the same with Jiu-Jitsu. If I don't start now, I likely never will. A 75 year old as a beginner in grappling might just break instead of bending. I barely bend now.

I doubt I'll get very high in Jiu-Jitsu rank. The headquarters website says getting a Black Belt with them takes between 7 and 15 years. There are a lot of very physical tests along that road for a guy who might be 70 by the time he reaches the Black Belt test. I am just hoping to get a spiffy enough colour to be allowed into the advanced classes.

Any other physical dreams kicking around? I'd love to study Judo, but we have none around here. Iado is very cool, but again there is none nearby. Marathon? I think those people are nuts. I would love to train for a month or so in Japan with my Karate Sensei someday, and that is quite do-able.

Might age stop any or all of my physical activities? Of course, but there is no sign of it yet.

I'm on a roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment