Friday 4 October 2013

OMG

The Jiu-Jitsu exams for my training partner and me just got a lot harder.

Today is October 4th, and we're working to get ready to start the testing process.

Now it turns out our instructor will be gone from October 28th until some time in December. I want my exam done before Christmas, and Madeline will likely be moving away sometime in November and needs it finished even earlier.

The question becomes, “how much can we complete before he leaves.” Anything we don't finish by then, we'll have to do while he's away.

That is a terrifying prospect.

OK, calm down. Think it through.

We could both be ready for the first of the three technique sections this week if we work at it. We can also perform the three sparring sections anytime. All we need is the mat time when we can film. It is possible we could be done those parts within a week.

That leaves two technique sections to get ready, and to record. They are nowhere near to being ready, so will take significant effort to prepare. I'm confident mine will be ready whenever I need them to be. I'm a retired guy, after all. Madeline has a lot more demands on her time. Maybe she can do it, or maybe she cannot.

If we have to test and record any parts without our instructor, we will have no experienced eye telling us when an attempt needs a do-over, or when it's good enough. It isn't impossible, but it is extremely daunting.

I guess it will make us prouder of success.


No comments:

Post a Comment