Saturday 1 December 2012

Warm it Up

I've never been a cold weather person. I don't mind summer rain, but the cold, dark month stuff kills me.

I like warm, and I like hot even better.

At the start of the cold months my back muscles sort of tighten up, and they don't really relax again until it's warm. I can induce short bursts of relaxation in between, but it's always short lived.

Some of my activities suffer. I run just about daily in the spring, summer, and early fall, but only rarely beyond that. I continue my bike rides to work regardless of the weather, but my recreational riding is on a schedule similar to my running.

Karate and Jiu-Jitsu are both indoor activities and continue unaffected.

Next year, for the first time ever this pattern will be broken. We will be spending one of the dark months in Los Angeles.

The main reason is for me to train in Jiu-Jitsu, but it means so much more.

Right now it's a rainy 7 degrees here, and will reach a lousy high of 8. In LA it will reach 17 and it's not raining. Tuesday it's going to hit 21. To me it will feel like summer.

A month of summer in the middle of winter. That will be sweet.

It will also be great spending that much time in a place I really like. Over the years we have seen many great sights in Los Angeles, and done wonderful things. The place is just so big and fascinating. Being there for an extended time will allow us to revisit our favourites, and to discover new ones. Never seen the La Brea Tar Pits. I've wanted to for years. Haven't been to Hollywood in decades and really should.

Don't even get me started on Disneyland. Many people poo poo it altogether, or dismiss it as kid stuff. They are wrong. Every inch of the place is a miracle of design. It is a massive work of art. If I were not allowed to go on any of the rides, I'd still love being there; just being there. Fortunately, I am allowed to go on the rides.

A month of Hollywood, Disneyland, Jiu-Jitsu, and warm weather, and Helen.

I just hope it's a month plus travel time, rather than a month including travel time.

Every day will be precious.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment