Friday 7 December 2012

Finish Line

There were only 3 people at open mat time today. Only the instructor, me, and Amelia. The test process for Amelia began.

Amelia and I started off reviewing all of the mount test section. It was a just little last minute brushing up, and sequence familiarization. Then it was "go" time.

The instructor acted as her partner during the taping. We had a stationary camera all set up, and I called out the technique order.

She finished in under the 5 minute maximum, and it looked good to me. The video will all be reviewed, and if good enough then that section is complete. It was the first try, and it probably is a keeper.

Then, she was encouraged and gently bullied into attempting another section. As she just couldn't pick, the instructor selected the standing section. She asked to review a few of the techniques, and then it was time to record again.

After a momentary flub with the camera, it went quite smooth. Most likely it is another successfully completed section.

She has been on her road to Blue Belt for 15 months, and is nearing the finish line.

Finish lines are an illusion.

I have been on my road to Blue Belt Stripe 1 for six months. Tomorrow I pick up the pace.

I have a private lesson booked. I will be attempting to complete an extra technique every few weeks for the next year, largely on my own. I will take what I learn at the private class and then drill for several weeks. I want to do this for most of 2013.

I am trying to shave four months of the time it will take me to reach Blue Belt Stripe 1. This would put my promotion one year away.

When Amelia passes, she will start attending the Blue Belt classes. There she will experience much more sophisticated technique, as well as several types of sparring. It really changes everything in a very positive way.

When I pass, a year or more from now, the change will be much less dramatic. I will merely start work on the next level of Blue Belt material.

Again, it is more of a mirage than an actual finish line.

Pass where the finish line was, and you see that it's actually still far in the distance.

I can see it there, shimmering.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment