Saturday 22 December 2012

Plain white suits

When I pick up a new activity, I usually get kind of obsessed.

The activity becomes a focus. It has been that way with computers, Karate, running, biking, and Jiu-Jitsu. I usually go a bit overboard even with activities that I only pick up in a minor way.

I like photography, and so have a total of 7 devices that can take pictures. This doesn't count Helen's iPhone. Maybe I'm not being fair to myself. Let's remove my iPod, which has a crappy camera that is rarely used, and my phone. OK, I only have 5 cameras. And I'm getting another for Christmas.

I've had a lot of computers over the years, but how many active ones do we currently have. Only 3, unless you include the two iPads.

I think you get the idea.

You'd think martial arts would be a perfect fit for somebody like me. There isn't any "stuff" to buy. Even running needs expensive shoes. Karate doesn't have even have footwear.

So just how have I managed to go overboard in Jiu-Jitsu? I take extra lessons, but what is there other than that?

I started last year wearing one of my Karate uniforms while I was trying the sport out. It worked, but wasn't really suitable once I'd settled in. The uniform wouldn't have survived all the grappling for very long.

The next time we were in the city I popped over to my favourite martial arts supplier to get a Judo uniform. My Karate instructor's discount made the price so attractive I got two.

By Christmas I'd added one of the official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu uniforms as well. After all, I like wearing a clean gi for each night, and I was training three nights a week.

The club's schedule received an overhaul over the summer, which meant a possible five sessions per week. Three uniforms just wasn't going to cut it. I bought another.

After a while actually going for five consecutive days per week, I found getting the uniforms clean fast enough was very difficult. The washing wasn't an issue, but the jackets need to hang dry.

I bought two more. Now I have a total of six, which works very well.

Sometimes we train without uniforms. When that happens we wear a tight, slippery shirt called a rashguard, and board shorts. Some people like wearing rashguards under their uniforms. It prevents floor burn. I tried it and like it a lot.

I now have six rashguards and five pairs of shorts.

I'm lucky we don't wear hats.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment