Sunday 18 January 2015

Year back and forth

It must be time to play, "where was I a year ago, and where will I be in a year?"; with subdivisions.

A year ago, it was January 18th, 2014. Helen and I were down in Los Angels. It was a Saturday, and I had completed the 2nd of 8 weeks training with the Gracies. I was comfortable by then, and deeply immersed in Jiu-Jitsu, Disneyland, and LA. My instructor was coming down in another week for a short visit at the academy, and I was hoping he'd remember to bring the Gracie University belt stripe that I'd earned a month earlier. I was a one-striper, but hadn't yet received it, so my belt was naked.

Six months ago, it was July 18th, and I was still babying a knee injury, which was just starting to come around. Our lives were running in comfortable, home mode.

Three months ago it was October 18th, and we were just a few days away from flying off for a month-long vacation in Florida.

Three months from now, it will be April 18th, and the weather here will be getting really nice. By then I am confident that I'll have a third stripe on my Blue Belt. We will have spent a bit of time between now and then playing in the desert.

Six months in the future it will be July 18th. We don't travel in the summer like we used to as working teachers. As retirees we spend the best months at home.

A year from now will put us just inside the beginning of 2016. I should have maxed out my Blue Belt with four stripes, and be looking ahead at earning a Purple Belt. That's like getting a Black Belt in most other martial arts. I should know, as I already am a Black Belt in Karate. There won't be a rush to get evaluated, as I intend doing that at another big, winter Los Angeles trip maybe a year later.

That's about it; a year into the past and into the future....










No comments:

Post a Comment