Wednesday 21 January 2015

Just another young guy

I started Jiu-Jitsu at the ripe old age of 55, earned my Blue Belt at 56, and am currently 58.

Our school was the only Certified Training Centre in Canada, so I was the oldest Gracie student to start training in our country. I was also the oldest to ever get a Blue Belt. Up until this week, although there are now more Certified schools, I was probably the oldest person training at all.

That has all changed. Two of our new beginners are stealing my thunder. One is 59, and the other is 62. I am no longer the oldest person in Canada to have ever started training. They have also knocked me cleanly out of being the oldest person of any rank currently on the mat.

Assuming they both stick around, and that it takes them about a year to get to Blue Belt, my oldest-person-in-Canada-to-get-a-Blue Belt record will also fall.

All of my firsts will have fallen.

I don't mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment