Monday 19 January 2015

Gi

Everybody seems to have strong preferences when it comes to gi; you know, uniforms.

I have a total 5 types and brands of grappling uniforms.

Just about the least suitable is a super stiff gi for Judo, and the two I have in that pattern have been retired. They are just too darn rigid.

That leaves 4 types that I rotate through.

The most expensive are my least favourite. They are done Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu style, which means close to the body. I prefer a wider fit even though I'm pretty narrow. That, however, isn't my big issue. The pants are cut with a very low rise, which means the wearer is usually displaying about 4 inches of their underpants. It isn't just me being a weird fit, as everybody who wears this type displays their panties. A silly style. I now wear the jacket with other pants and leave the stupid ones at home. I am disappointed with this model, as it is put out by the Gracie Store, and their stuff is usually really good.

I also wear another Gracie style that has been discontinued. No stupid pants here. These ones are fine, but a little snug in the body even though I'm considerably smaller than this type is supposed to fit. I like the way they carry Gracie cresting, but in an understated way. They seem very durable. I award this type a Bronze Medal.

The cheapest gi that the Gracie's sell is called the, “Classic.” It is also minimally crested, but seems to wear out faster. This is my second favourite gi, as the fit is just a little looser, and the pants have an extra-long draw string. It is my oldest gi, and it shows, but it is still good after over four years of wear.

My Gold Medal gi is a Judo uniform, which means that the cut is generally baggier than a Brazilian type even at the same size. This allows freer movement, which I really like. It is the least adorned of all of my gis, carrying no crests at all.

A lot of other people like to go extra fancy with gi decoration. They also seem to like the close-to-body Brazilian cut. About half like the underwear-displaying pants, and the other half hate them.

Uniforms come in strange sizing.

All of my current ones are sized for people supposedly 5'9” to 6'1” and 175-210 pounds. I am currently 5'10” and 173 pounds. Even so, they are not loose enough.

My next purchase will likely be another Gracie “Classic.” To get a more freedom of movement, it will probably be sized for 6'-6'4” and 200-250 pounds. I'll need to get the sleeves and pant legs hemmed, but that should do the trick. Some manufacturers do half sizes, which would be even better, but that is usually reserved for extra-heavy and expensive uniforms. I don't want that.




No comments:

Post a Comment