Thursday 22 January 2015

Vote of Confidence

There are two kinds of validation of knowledge in the martial arts.

Both are wonderful to witness when they happen.

The first and most obvious is that given by an instructor or examining board. This can take the form of a compliment of skill, or perhaps by an elevation in rank. It is the one that is periodically expected as one trains along the path.

The other is quite unpredictable, and is done by one's peers.

I am the only student here to have completed the first level of examination of the Gracie's curriculum. I am also the only one to have trained with the Gracies for any period of time.

For these reasons, I was awarded a rank stripe by Gracie University. That felt pretty nice to receive. Later, I received a second stripe from my own instructor. It was a wonderful surprise, and an expression that my teacher respected what I'd accomplished.

However, it has been the second type of validation that has been the most heartwarming.

In Jiu-Jitsu, students are always working with partners. They can choose based on any criteria, but due to the nature of the activity, usually pick someone they can learn with or from.

I don't usually select my partners. I let the others pick. Somebody always immediately grabs me. They then act as if I'm an instructor and use me to learn the technique. I am honoured by this. It is a vote of confidence by my peers that I know what I'm doing and am able to teach it.

Students often come to me for help if they don't understand a movement, or if they've been away, or if they are preparing for an exam. They could go to another student, and sometimes they do. Very often the come to me.

Last night I saw a huge vote of confidence aimed at another student. I got to watch from the sideline due to an injury.

The advanced group of about a dozen were working on a second day in the leg locks chapter. They had all started one day earlier, but Luke had been away. He had never even seen the type of material being covered, let alone done it. He was sitting next to Rob.

Only Rob, Elizabeth, Scott and Ryan had been around when we'd covered leg locks a year ago. All four of them have done the entire chapter. Luke was lucky to be right next to Rob.

Just before it was grab-a-partner time, Rob leaned over to Luke and told him to grab Ryan, which he did.

So why did Rob tell him to grab Ryan? What was happening was that one of the four who knew the material was telling Luke which of them would be the best choice for a tutor.

Luke moved like a cobra, snagging Ryan, who calmly and skillfully showed him step-by-step what was covered the day before. It was like getting a complete mini lesson. Ryan was the perfect choice. Rob knew it, and now Luke does, too. Peers pretty quickly sort these things out.

A huge vote of confidence, worth as much as any promotion.





No comments:

Post a Comment