Saturday 24 January 2015

(Helping)+(Helping me)

I have figured out how to up my game at Jiu-Jitsu.

The way I used to max out my learning was to do lots of extra homework. Typically, we'd do one technique and its sub-slices each week. That meant three classes devoted totally to it. On the weekend, I'd commit two open mat sessions to pounding it into my brain and body even deeper.

Sometimes it would be review time in class. That's when I'd get a private lesson to cover another technique, and devote all the open mat time to that.

So one way or another, I covered new one technique per week.

I like learning that way.

Now, we go much faster. The association's goal has moved away from trying for mastery.

Now we do chunks, usually over two weeks. Consider the first such chunk in the current cycle. It consists of four techniques. This is very typical. Instead of one technique in one week, we do four techniques in two. Sometimes there is more to cover, and sometimes less, but it averages out at about twice the rate of the old system.

I liked the old system. We now learn much less deeply. I guess it's not better or worse, just different.

So what is this upping of my game mentioned at the start of this blog?

Our instructor is preparing himself to take the comprehensive exam covering the higher-level of the material we've been covering. At the same time, Ryan is working on the exam that covers the lower half of the curriculum.

I'm a nice guy, so I'm always there to help both; at least that's what everybody thinks. In reality, I'm secretly as selfish as hell.

I've done the test that Ryan is working on, but that was over a year ago. By helping him I am being forced to re-learn it all myself. It is a sparkling way to review. Not only to I have to remember the nuances myself, but I have to be able to articulate them to Ryan. I have to know it better than I did for my own exam.

At the same time, I'm helping Shawn with the higher-level material. Sometimes I'm his partner, but usually that role is done by Scott. It's my job to read them the technique names, and to watch, and to offer suggestions for better performance. This is forcing me to recall material that we rushed through in class at the newer pace. Although I usually don't lift a finger, I am learning at a deeper level than I did when we covered this stuff in class.

They all think I'm helping them, and I am, and it is my primary focus.

The beautiful side-effect is I am getting better at my own Jiu-Jitsu.




No comments:

Post a Comment