Saturday 5 January 2013

Miracle Cure

In the last three weeks, I've been on the mat exactly once, and that was over two weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to going today. It is an informal, open session so there is no way to predict who will attend.

I like my normal training routine. I have a Karate class on Monday, two Jiu-Jitsu classes on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, and Thursday. On Friday and Saturday there are open mat sessions. Nothing on Sunday.

By the time I retire the weather will be better, so I'll also run every day.

Why so much?

I started Karate long ago because I liked it. Running and biking got added because teaching martial arts wasn't keeping me fit enough. Jiu-Jitsu got added for fun.

Now I dare not stop.

My social circle includes many people of about my age. I am the most active person in that group. Of my friends in their forties, about half are already hobbled up pretty bad. Of those in their fifties, 100% have problems.

The problems I refer to are things like plantar fasciitis, other foot conditions, ankle problems and bum knees. Hip problems are endemic, and so are shoulder issues. Don’t even ask about back problems. I have none of these.

The only thing I am doing different than all these other folks is my level of activity. It makes sense that it is doing something.

What I am doing should either cripple me faster than my friends, or help minimize such age-related damage. It seems to be working in my favour.

I like it, it keeps me fit, and seems to stave off age-related structural issues.

At some point I’ll have to cut back, but that time is currently nowhere in sight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment