Saturday 12 January 2013

Grandmaster Bernardo Salinas

I love finding stuff on the internet. Last year it helped me find my original instructor, along with other old friends. Today I found somebody else interesting.

His name is Bernardo Salinas. He is a Grandmaster of Sinkatan Arnis, which is a Philippine stick fighting art. He studied it early in life, returning to it in the late 1980s.

Salinas is also a 5th Dan in Shotokan Karate, and has a small Karate association of loyal students centered around his home in Fort Saint John, BC.

He first walked into the Fort Saint John Karate Club as a White Belt in January of 1983.

At that time, half of the classes were being taught by the Club’s Sensei, Perry Foster. Foster Sensei lived an hour drive away, so the other half of the classes were lead by the Club’s senior student. That guy only wore a Green Belt.

That Green Belt guy was me. I was a Brown Belt by the time I inherited the Club, when Foster Sensei left to live in Japan.

By then, several of Bernardo’s sons were also training. Two are still martial artists and continue under their father.

I earned my Black Belt at the end of 1986, and Bernardo got his at the start of 1988.

The last I knew of him, Bernardo was training, and a Black Belt. Now I find out he’s still training, a high-ranking Black Belt, and a Grandmaster besides.

I love the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment