Thursday 3 January 2013

First Class Back

Got home today after Christmas vacation with family in Victoria.

On the ferryboat during the last leg of the voyage home, info came in that there would be an open mat Jiu-Jitsu session on Saturday. I was hoping for something just like that. I love the internet and cell phones.

I also got an email regarding the first official day back at Jiu-Jitsu class on Tuesday. The main instructor will still be in Mexico, and the assistant cannot take over as planned on the first day.

The email was asking me to teach the White Belt class.

I've been teaching Karate since 1983, and been a school teacher almost as long, but this is different. Last year at this time I was a student in the White Belt class, and now I'm going to teach it.

This is a very rapid turn over in martial arts terms.

The classes are very structured and challenging to teach correctly. I'm supposed to teach "positional control in side mount, and double-leg takedown". I have access to videos of the curriculum and so can review ahead of time.

For most of the White Belts it won't be their first time doing the lesson. For some it will be.

It is important to do it properly, and to cover all the teaching points.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment