Wednesday 14 November 2012

Demo-boy

Yesterday was interesting. I had a dentist appointment, and so was running a little late. It could have been a car day, but I decided that if I were a few minutes late for the White Belt class it wasn't the end of the world. After the dentist, I rode home on the bike.

Grabbed a bite. No panic if I should be a few minutes late for the White Belt class. Packed my gym bag. No need to rush.

Drove half an hour to the gym. No panic.

Still managed to get there a moment or two before the 5:30 start time and headed to the changeroom.

The mat was packed. Just about every White Belts was present.

So I was changing, and Sterling exploded in saying the class couldn't start until I was on the mat, and then he vanished again. Strange, but I hurried.

Was he kidding? Why would they need me?

Class started and it was instantly clear. The instructor was away and Sterling was teaching the class. He needed somebody to demonstrate on. There was only one other Blue Belt there. Madeline is often used as the demo partner, but she wouldn't be a good choice with Sterling teaching.

He is about twice her size, and it would just look bizarre for Sterling to demonstrate defending himself against such a tiny attacker. He did use her for a demo where she didn't portray an evil attacker, but wanted me for the much better size match.

Sterling taught a fine class, and I didn’t screw up at all.

Funny that it was the first time ever that I didn’t arrive plenty early. Strange that Stirling should be teaching on exactly that night, and that none of the other large Blue Belts were present.

I’ve been used in demos a few times, but this night I was used more than all those other times combined.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment