Sunday 11 November 2012

30 Days is Easy

I've stolen an idea at work. There is a TED thing by a guy called Matt Cutts. He has filled his life with 30 day challenges.

They are something done every day for a month. Some examples are; take a photo, walk to work, draw daily, eat a new food each day....and almost anything else.

The idea is that it is enough time to give each thing a fair shake, but short enough that they can be completed.

I've did this with my kids last year and it was a huge success. There is a ton of enthusiasm in this year's group, too.

I do one alongside the kids in support. Don't know what I'll do this year.

I think this is a great idea, and not just for kids. It seems to have done wonders for Matt Cutts.

I've met tons of people who praise me for riding my bike to work. They should try it for a month. Some think it's cool that I run in the summer. They should try running for a month, or even going for long walks.

You have no idea how many people have told me that they've always wanted to try martial arts. They haven't.

It's like anything else. It all seems too big and intimidating. Does trying something for 30 days seem as bad?

Matt Cutts has done many, many challenges. Most ended on day 30, but a number have become part of his life.

I'd like to get into photography, and get back into fine art. I could use daily practise on my advanced Katas. I should dress better.

How about stopping something negative in your life? Could you do that for a month? Drop certain foods, or smoking, or drinking. It's only 30 days. Maybe it could stick, too. Why not try being a vegetarian?

Introverted? For a month go up to somebody and ask them how their weekend was. Last year one girl did this. It scared her, but she learned the knack in no time.

One picky eater managed to eat a new food every day. A lot of them she hated, and most of the rest she didn't mind but wouldn't try again. She found about a dozen she actually liked. She no longer resists trying new things.

The big surprise last year was the number of kids that came up and asked if they were allowed to do more than one.

That doesn't usually happen with homework.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment