Saturday 27 October 2012

The Hardest Thing

I sometimes get asked what the hardest thing is in martial arts.

The answer might surprise you. Many of the things are very difficult.

The very first thing I learned was Karate's basic punch. I've been working on it for over 30 years, and it still needs work.

The stances need constant monitoring and correction.

Kicking is difficult.

Miss a block and you're screwed.

Grappling is no simpler, and there are many more movements to learn.

None of that is the hardest element.

The hardest part is the uniform. It ain't like any other clothing you've ever experienced.

The easiest way to tell a beginner is by the belt, and I don't mean the colour. It's the knot.

Even belts tied perfectly will often come undone in the midst of training.

I've started tying mine in a manner specific to some grapplers. Most people use the usual, self-undoing variation, but there is another way. I've started doing mine the fancy way, too.

It works really well. My belt hasn't come undone since at Karate, and only rarely when rolling at Jiu-Jitsu.

The knot's difference is hard to detect to an observer, and nobody has asked me about it.

Bet you didn't know there was even an issue.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment