Tuesday 9 October 2012

Cold

I'm kinda pissed. It's this cold. It arrived just in time to mess up a long weekend. I could handle that, but it's still not gone and there are three nights in a row of Jiu-Jitsu.

I could drug away my symptoms and go train, but that isn't really fair to my training partners. They'd be wallowing in my cloud of germs.

If I can't train this week, I'll miss all the Blue Belt classes pertaining to, "Straight armlock defense." This will not return until the 60 week cycle has rolled all the way around again.

I think I'll go, but not roll around with anybody. That way I can partake of the lesson, and just not practise the skills. I can do the physical training later when I'm well. It also won't tire me clear to the bone trying to do it whilst ill.

I doubt I'll get official credit for the classes, but that doesn't really matter. There is weirdness in that to complete the Blue Belt course one must complete all sixty techniques three times each, which takes 180 classes. One also must attend a minimum of 100 instructor-led classes. This inconsistency means I can miss getting credit for a few as being instructor-led and still get by.

I like loopholes.

It is my opinion that for it to take 60 weeks to earn a strip on a Blue Belt is arduous enough. It would be worse to be unable to test at that time due to unnecessary missing of classes.

I might have to miss one here and there due to school commitments. Stupid job. We're also going away for a while at Christmas and likely also at Spring Break. I know Jiu-Jitsu is shutting down for two weeks in December so only Spring Break might be a problem. If I miss a technique that week, I'll make it up somehow either from fellow students who attend, or from the online material at Gracieuniversity.com.

Summer could be a problem. Sometimes they shut down regular classes, but this is not a policy. If I'm in town I hope the lessons continue. If we go on a trip I hope they don't, or that I can make them up.

Anyway you look at it; I don't want any more colds. I don't even want to think about the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment