Monday 8 October 2012

Germs

I woke up Saturday morning with a stupid cold. Don't know if I caught it at work, or at the gym, but that doesn't matter. It's bad enough I've done very little all weekend.

Saturday morning Jiu-Jitsu was cancelled for the holiday, so I didn't have to agonize over going or not going. I did have to teach at Karate for an hour in the afternoon, but that was no sweat.

No bike and no running, and it's Monday already. I'm glad that it's Canadian Thanksgiving, so I get to spend another day in my puffy chair recovering.

I've gone over the videos of my next technique at Jiu-Jitsu. Does this count as training?

I've also been watching a string of UFC bouts on Netflix. I've always enjoyed these kinds of fights, but even more now that I can better understand the subtleties in the grappling aspect of the game.

Most fighters seem to have chosen boxing for their punches, Muay Thai for their kicks, and Jiu-Jitsu for grappling. This is well enough, but it leaves holes in their game.

Often they can't land their power kicks fast enough. Why not learn to kick like a Taekwondo guy as well? Less power but more speed. Why not learn Karate movement and hands? Get in and out faster. Why not spend some time doing Judo? Most of these guys have no throws at all.

Just my two cents.

It's fun to watch when germ infested.

No comments:

Post a Comment