Friday 26 October 2012

How far?

The material I have to learn for my next test is divided into 7 units or chapters. It has been all chapter one since the start of September. There is one more week to complete, and then we go into a few weeks of review.

After that it's on to chapter two. I won't see chapter one again for a year and a half. At about that time I'll be expected to test.

I won't have done some of the techniques in a very long time.

Not really true, as I'll be using them when rolling around, but I won't see them in a formal class setting.

I plan on getting them down pat before we start the next chapter. When we do review again at the end of chapter two, I plan on reviewing everything in every chapter I've covered. I want to do this during each subsequent review period.

When it's all done, I want to be ready to test the very next day. I want it all tight. I want it all solid.

My age definitely works against me. A young guy needn't think about it, but we all only have so many good years. I want to get as far as I can. A Purple Belt is about 5 or 6 years away and is a realistic goal. A Brown Belt is just as far away again.

Will I still be rolling around like this a decade from now? I hope so, but I'll be in my late sixties. A Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt for me is a long shot.

I enjoy the learning itself, and the techniques, and all the sparring around.

The training is currently no problem for an old dude. My body is holding up well, and I can roll with any of them. Nobody seems to avoid the old guy, and some actively seek me out as a partner. I don't see anybody taking it easy on me. I take this as a compliment.

The instructor enjoys rolling with me, too. This is an even bigger compliment. My repertoire is still very limited, but I'm pretty good at making things hard for him. I think I present him with puzzles that he enjoys solving. He always gets me eventually, and then we keep on going.

I wonder how far I can go.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment