Thursday 24 March 2011

My Third Club

Inspired by my family, I started to think about Karate again. Started entering the age that meant if I didn't start soon, I never would.

Dropped into the Roberts Creek Shitu Ryu club a couple of times. They were incredibly welcoming. Should I just chuck the Black Belt and start over in Shitu Ryu, or just remain the weird Shotokan guy in the back.

Went in to train at an old friend's Dojo in North Vancouver. Again, welcomed. Turns out our old association is pretty much the same, with the new name of JKABC, wnd with Sakurai Sensei holding 7th Dan.

Still didn't know which route to take back to training.

My beliefs about luck and fate and coincidence are pretty pedestrian, but sometimes things just seem to happen the right way.

A message popped up in Facebook for me. A woman in Sechelt was trying to find Shotokan Karate. She'd visited the Roberts Creek club, and they'd pointed her towards me. She holds Brown Belt. We agreed to meet at Starbucks.

She wanted an instructor, which meant a club, and was willing to do all the organizing and setup required. She's a lawyer, for Pete's sake. She also has parents who are both Black Belts, and she thought they might join, too. They hadn't trained for 14 years, having quit due to injuries. I agreed to take the Sensei role until somebody else was willing to take that over.

In no time, we had classes 3 times a week and a club of 15 people. Funny how things work.

No comments:

Post a Comment