Friday 18 March 2011

My First Club II

...so I inherited the Ft. St. John Karate Club in 1985, and I was not qualified to be Sensei.  Would the whole thing collapse?

Did the best I could at teaching, and pushed for increased membership.  The deal had been that Northern Lights College collected all the student fees, provided locations for training, and paid the instructors a few dollars a night to teach.  To survive, I knew we'd need more cash.  Talked to the college people, and they agreed to a new deal.  They no longer paid the instructors and provided the gym, but the money deal changed.  They collected the money, and gave the club back 85% of the take.  Suddenly we were flush with money.  Used it to pay me, and helper teachers, and to bring in big name instructors from Vancouver.

About a year later, the club was up to 119 members, in one adult class and two kids classes.  We had all continued to progress through the ranks at a normal rate, and had enjoyed many weekend seminars, which included training and tests.  I considered things a success.

Spring 1986 rolled around, and I became due to test for my Black Belt.  That year, the head of the entire Japan Karate Association, Nakayama Shihan, was coming to the lower mainland for a week-long visit.  I simply had to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment