Monday 21 March 2011

My First Club IV

Failing sucks....but back north to resume my life.

Months later, another Big Guy came to BC. People thought I should try again, but I hadn't improved since the failure, so that seemed kinda a dead end. I did go train with him. Yamaguchi Sensei was his name.

My old instructor returned to the north, so I had a regular teacher again. He was in a neighboring town, so only about once a week. Very glad to get him back. Then we had Sakurai Sensei visit us. He asked if I wanted to test. Very polite, but when a Big Guy says that, he's actually telling you.

Did my grading, but didn't get the result for a week or so.

I had passed. Certainly felt a bit stunned to hear that. Then he said, "I'd done a lot for Karate in my area." That meant that although I was kinda good enough to pass, I wouldn't have if I'd just been Joe Blow.

Took it, though. Figured if it took me 6 months or a year to "really" be there I'd still be training, learning and improving.

Few months later, my senior students started getting Black Belts, too. I was prouder of their success than my own. Les was first, then Bernardo, Jewel, Colin and Yvonne.

And they all called me, Sensei. That is an honour beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment