Wednesday 18 July 2012

Matching Pillars

I loved my time at the Victoria Judo Club. Part of that was due to the fact that I wasn't a member there, or trying to become one.

I don't learn well the way they were teaching. Likely this was due to it being Summer Session. I bet they have proper rookie classes other times.

We were doing stuff, and Black Belts I would get partnered with would try and show me what to do. This was great, but it isn't the way I learn physical activities.

None of this stuff comes naturally for me, so I learn best by small lessons repeated at length. Karate is great for this, as is Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Probably the most I actually "learned" at Judo came when one of the senior Black Belts showed me a few things about two throws, and told me to go off the matt and practice by myself. Many would be insulted and feel tossed aside. Not me. I moved over to the creaky, wooden floor and started drilling myself. I'd say that those five minutes were very valuable for me.

Likely, we'll visit Victoria again next year and I'll do Judo again. An extra year of work in Jiu-Jitsu will help a lot. Likely at that point my Jiu-Jitsu will help me to understand more of what's going on and to learn more from it. At that point, Judo training will be good for my Jiu-Jitsu in return.

They are perfect supports for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment