Sunday 8 July 2012

Another start

I don't know what my goals were when I was a beginner in Karate. That was 30 years ago, and I can't remember.

I became a beginner again last Fall. This time it was in a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu class. My goal there became to earn the first belt and thereby gain access to extra classes. I've reached that point, which is just a few inches inside the door.

Wednesday I expect to be a beginner again, this time at the Victoria Judo Club. My goal this time is simple. I want to learn whatever I can in the very limited number of classes I'll be able to attend. It looks like I can make it to about seven sessions. That's about the equivalent of a month's training. It might be less depending on family commitments. In one month of training a rookie can maybe make it 25-30% of the way towards a Yellow Belt. I won't reach that.

I might not get passed working on break falls. That's where you practice not breaking when an opponent chucks you to the ground. That's OK. I could use a lot of work on falls. Might even learn a simple throw or two.

Judo is known for working slowly through its curriculum, with students practicing high numbers of repetitions.

I learn best exactly this way. For me, being shown a trick and getting to try it a couple of times is a waste. Being shown something, and then doing it a hundred times works well.

Anyhow, that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment