Monday 9 July 2012

Bike and run and other...

Headed to Victoria for a few days, and plan on packing on the human-powered miles.

It is a fabulous running city. Unfortunately, I hurt my Achilles tendon recently and dare not run like I usually do. It will be wise to keep the miles-per-run down and slowly creep it up.

Usually, I pick a run anywhere in the city, run there, do the run, and run back. This summer I'd best drive to any runs not in the immediate neighbourhood. Luckily, we'll be staying with Oliver and Jen's fabulous family over near the University. Lots of good paces to jog through close by.

My favourite will require a drive. There is a wonderful strip along the coast along Dallas road, near the city's big park. When I wake up very early, and I will, I might just drive down there and run the waterfront.

When I run, I'm solo. When I bike in Victoria, I'm with Helen.

Every day that we're there we go visit Mom in her care facility. Rather than drive through downtown, we ride the bikes. There is a bike trail that follows a former train right-of-way that goes almost exactly where we want to travel. It's 8 km each way. Sometimes we vary the route and go other swell places.

In the evenings we sometimes pop up to the University and just ride all about the campus.

If you've never been to Victoria, I highly recommend it. Besides sparkling morning runs and cross town greenspace biking there are a million other things to do.

One block to the east of Mom's place is the oldest Judo school in the province. If nothing else comes up, I'll be there 3 evenings during our 8 day visit. We also both want to see the animated movie "Brave". By waiting until we're in Victoria we can view it in 3D.

We walk and shop downtown, and in any of a zillion malls. Lots of good beaches, too.

We have two families to socialize with; my sister and her husband, and Helen's brother, his wife, and their three kids.

So lots of biking, and running, and family stuff, and city stuff.

Should be dandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment