Thursday 14 July 2011

UVIC

Finally, made it to a Karate class while visiting here in Victoria. It only took me a week of procrastinating.

They are part of the University of Victoria recreation program, and have a beautiful, mirrored wall facility to have classes in. Mirrors make a huge difference in correcting one's form.

Their organization, my old organization, and my new organization all used to be part of the same group a long time ago. They went their separate ways over twenty years ago.

It's fascinating to see how little they have actually diverged. The rituals are mostly the same, and the technique, and the Katas. Slight variations, of course, but nothing significant.

Shotokan stays Shotokan.

I'll go back if I have a free evening while we are here. That might not add up to much, but it doesn't have to.

I'll also go to my own club's classes whenever I'm home.

September, it will be back to three classes per week, steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment