Friday 29 July 2011

Brains or sweat

Ever try and learn something when you're really tired? Did it work for you?

I prefer Karate classes that are focused on precision practise, or brain stuff.

I don't mind a Karate class that pushes the physical side of things really hard. Trouble is, after doing this for a while one cannot use the brain much.

Sometimes the instructor thinks the class can do both. Wrongo.

It isn't just Karate. I've taken ballroom dance classes on Friday night after a long, hard workweek. I can move, and think, and learn for exactly one hour. After that, nothing new sinks in. Ever. I can keep doing the stuff I already know, and polish that up, but forget any fresh memory stuff.

It happens in School. Why do you think we send the kids home at 3pm instead of going on until 6 or 7? There would be no point. Not only would they be miserable, they'd be unable to absorb anything.

In the States they've tried something like this in elementary school. The kids get no breaks outside in the course of the day. This was done to try and increase the standardized test scores that determine the schools' funding. The result is that the test scores dropped. Their wee brains are just too tired.

Anyhow, I like the brainy kind of class, not the sweaty kind. I get my sweating by running. Running gets me more sweat per minute than Karate does.

Your mileage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment