Wednesday 27 July 2011

Fat defense

Today was then end of our 10th cruise.

The rule of thumb on these things is that one will gain an average of about 5 pounds. To pull off this feat in one week, one must consume double normal caloric intake, and would then only gain 4.

People eat a great deal on cruises. I keep up with the best of them.

On our first cruise, which was only 4 days, I managed to lose two pounds. It being our first cruise, I was at every activity I could find, including exercise classes, and dancing. We also walked our feet off in every port, and snorkled like pros.

In all the other cruises, I acted like a normal person, and gained weight just like everybody else.

Not this time. I ate like a madman. Walked in the towns a bit, and danced in the evenings. Nothing special to burn the bad stuff away. I pushed only a couple of times. Did about 10km of running on the silly treadmill machines. In Skagway, I took things up a notch. Everybody went shopping, or touring, and I went running. Put in 20.8km.

What was the end result?

I gained 0.4 pounds on my lovely trip to Alaska. I call that breaking even.

Running is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment