Friday 5 December 2014

Old Fart

I am the oldest person around here doing Jiu-Jitsu. I am currently 58. I'm pushing pretty hard for rank, and figure I'll earn a Purple Belt at age 60.

Beyond that my goals become less driven. I hope to be able to train for a good many years. Rank will come when and if it will. Being Purple is enough for me.

My body is holding up remarkably well, but I can't expect this go to on forever. I'll have to train smart in order to keep going. It is conceivable that I could earn a Brown Belt some day, but I'll leave that to fate and time.

Can I expect to train intensely until I'm 65, or 75? Who knows when I'll be forced to back off? Better that I do so by choice, and not due to injury. That way I'll be able to do this stuff for a much longer time.

I might end up on the mat at age 75, but not if I keep chasing rank.


Smart and playful. That's how I'll play it.


No comments:

Post a Comment