Saturday 20 December 2014

Balance

Right now the plan is to visit the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu for 2 weeks this winter, and 4 more late next fall.

When I'm there I train like a maniac. I go to every class my level, which means 13 classes per week. That's as much as I do at home in a month. When I go, I go to learn.

The only way that I could do better would be to add some private lessons. One can arrange this at a cost of $80 for a Purple Belt instructor, or $100 for a Brown Belt, or $120 for a Black Belt. The price drops significantly if one books blocks of a dozen lessons.

It is also possible to book Ryron or Rener Gracie, but the price is right out of sight.

When picking a Black Belt, a student can choose one of the full-time academy's full-time instructors. I'd want either Alex Stuart or Jordan Collins.

Should I go the private lesson route? This would significantly increase the cost of training, but it would also increase the effectiveness.

If I added two privates per week for all 6 weeks I'll be in LA during 2016, I would quality for the 12-lesson discount. This would likely be a good amount.

If I were to do this, I'd likely drop two of the group classes; perhaps the evening classes on Monday and Wednesday. That would mean that on those two days I'd be finished after midday class ends at 1:30pm.

The problem is, it's hard to justify the price, no matter the value. Jiu-Jitsu is a hobby. We spend more just travelling and staying in LA, but that is also a holiday for both of us. Paying a bucket of cash for extra lessons is money poured straight into the hobby.

I doubt I'll spring for a block of 12 lessons. Maybe I'll do some much smaller number. Instead of twice per week, maybe only once will be enough. Perhaps, even less than that. I think a single session would be meaningless, as part of that would be spent with the instructor just figuring out the student, and the student getting used to the instructor.

What would I do if I were a stinking rich? I think the group lessons are important, so I'd still do the 6 midday classes each week. Two private sessions per day seem doable to me, so that would be 12 of those per week.

They don't have training on Sundays.

It's all very interesting to think about.



No comments:

Post a Comment