Monday 30 December 2013

Plans and Changes

It has been planned for a while that we would leave soon for our trip to California.

I have a week booked at a nicely located Best Western, followed by a second reservation at the same hotel for two more weeks. Beyond that we'll play it by ear. The first week was done normally on a credit card, and the other two weeks done on the same card, but using magic-fairy points.

I did it that was in case anything “came up” to delay our departure. A normal reservation is easy as pie to modify or cancel. I suspect that credit-card-travel-points bookings are more hassle to mess with.

What could come up?” you might ask. Well, suppose our car started acting funny, or I managed to wreck myself running? Even weather might make us decide to delay things a bit.

In fact, as we were packing to come home from my brother-in-law's place in Victoria, I made my back go ping. I was carrying some stupid thing down the stairs and something went. It actually made me elicit a noise. I never make sounds when I'm hurt, but I did then; sort of a cross between a squeak and a grunt. Was very careful finishing the loading of the car, and the unloading when we got home. I can still feel it, but it doesn't hurt at all. Now that a couple of days have passed I have officially declared it a non-issue. No bookings had to be changed.

Now it turns out it's Helen's turn. She says it happened when she was reaching for the light switch last night. I was already asleep. She hasn't been comfortable since, and has made a doctor appointment.

Her's hurts way more than mine did. It doesn't look like a non-issue. We'll know more after the doctor visit. The booking might need changing.

She may not be doing Jiu-Jitsu in California, but the long driving days to get there are a big hurdle. Heck, even sleeping in strange, less-than-ideal beds is a bad idea. She might not need to be 100%, but she needs to be pretty close.

Can you tell that we're both over 50? I'm as concerned about beds and long drives as I am about martial arts activity. My little hurt was caused by carrying something pretty light down a flight of stairs. Her worse one was the result of turning off a lightswitch.

I'd say that we should just stay safe and unmoving in our puffy chairs, but I've been hurt doing that, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment