Tuesday 12 March 2013

End game

It's not exactly how I was expecting to finish my time as a teacher. It's been over a week since I've been able to bike to work. Some stupid virus has struck, and it wouldn't be a great idea to ride in the rain and the cold.

The virus has kept me from martial arts for about a week. This has messed up my internal calendar as I keep track of the days by what is happening in my training schedule. It has meant a lot of extra soft-chair, TV time.

They've only just recently posted my job, and will be accepting applications up until the end of today. They've had over a month's notice, and still they wait until almost the last second. Likely I won't even get to talk with my replacement at all.

I've started junking out my shelves and drawers. It isn't a big as job as I was dreading. Most is going straight into recycling or the trash. I really don't want much to end up at home. Nothing teacher-ish is coming with me at all. Some of my stuff is being given away, or getting left for the new teacher.

One thing I'm dreading is anybody doing anything to commemorate my leaving. I want it all to end simply with an ordinary day. There will be a wee thing done in June for teachers leaving the school. I might return for that, but I might not. Such events are really not enjoyable for me at all. So far there is no sign of anything. I hope it stays this way.

I haven't been part of the school's extra-curricular activity for maybe a decade. Suddenly, we have a Jiu-Jitsu club starting up which I'll be involved with after I retire. All of the tedious organizational part of the activity is being absorbed by the vice principal. Gotta love that.

A weird few weeks lately. A good part is that after today, I only have seven work days left. Smack in the middle of those seven days I get a week off for spring break.

That's right; a week off right before I retire.

Good planning, or what?


No comments:

Post a Comment