Sunday 7 August 2011

No time

I am of an age where I'm thinking about retirement. Strangely, whenever it becomes a topic of conversation everyone starts making suggestions about how to fill up the aquired time. They suggest going part-time, or starting a new career, or dong volunteer work. Are they insane?

It can be assumed my current leisure time will continue, and will not need to be filled.

On a workday, I leave home about 7:00am. Let's go for a run instead on a retirement day. Let's have it last an hour and a half with a half hour recovery sit down. Already it's nine o'clock. Bet I'll bike into town for something every day. Let's put that next on my hypothetical day. It takes 20 minutes each way, and let's put on 40 minutes of in-town activity. It's 10:30 and coffee time. 11:00 am.

Let's put in an hour of reading a day. Bang, it's lunchtime. Round the time off to 1pm when lunch is done.

Haven't "done" anything much, except relax.

Now fill the afternoon with camera fiddling, computer playing, video watching, Karate practising....

I think I'll have plenty to keep me happy.

Start a second career? Who has time for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment